Creevylea Abbey


Dromahair Co.Leitrim


+353 (0)71 962 0170

 creevylea_friary.jpg (Creevylea Friary.jpg)


Creevylea Friary is located on the edge of the town of Dromahair, the most convenient access route is a footbridge across the River Bonet from the car park of the Abbey Manor Hotel. This monastery of the Franciscan third order regular, was founded by Eoin O'Rourke and his wife Margaret. This was one of the last abbeys founded in Irelandbefore King Henry VIII dissolved all the monasteries throughout Irelandand England.

Built in 1508, the Friary's well preserved ruins stand in romantic settings beside the River Bonet. In the ruins is a carving of Saint Francis preaching to the birds. Located 16km south east of Sligo.

The friary consists of the church, the cloister and domestic buildings. The tower, which stands above the church, was converted for use as living quarters in the 17th century and it would originally have served as a bell-tower. At one point in its later history the church was roofed with thatch.